Sunday, March 10, 2013

Interesting

This book did manage to keep my attention. However, at times my attention dwindled. It seemed as every new plot twist occurred what would happen was obvious, but just a matter of reading it. From the point of the introduction of Hassan's son and on I could have almost told you what was going to happen. I was only surprised by the entrance of Assef,  and Sohrab's struggles with depression. I thought that his move to America would be a happy assimilation, but instead it seemed like he gave it no effort. Amir's life seemed just as plagued with bad news as Sohrab's, and you would think that eventually Sohrab would be able to move passed the abuse he endure and it did hint that this may happen. Ultimately, I found the book to be to straight forward with plot twists that led to obvious conclusions. Also, the whole ending with the kites and all was a bit to mushy gushy and cliche for my liking.

Although it seems like I hated this book there was an aspect of it I enjoyed. I was unfamiliar with the middle eastern setting and the book gave a great picture of the setting and how horribly the country deteriorated.

On a side note, I found it really far-fetched and almost downright silly that Sohrab still had the slingshot on him during the fight between Assef and Amir. I mean really? What criminal keeping a prisoner doesn't do a full body search of their prisoner? That really grinded my gears...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.