Sunday, March 3, 2013

Changes in Characters

At the very end of my last post, I mentioned that I would really like for the "redemption" advertised on the cover to happen soon. Now, at the end of this second section, I am hopeful that it will. Amir will, if all goes well (since when has it?), save Sohrab, his half-brother's only child. Of course, this whole book has me quite cynical, and I would not be surprised at all if Sohrab ends up meeting the same unnatural fate as his father.

For most of this section, I was disappointed with Baba and his behavior. I cannot say I found joy in reading about his descent from a perfect father and role-model to a grumpy old man with nothing to live for. However, I found solace in the fact that he died only after seeing Amir married and believing his son was not a total failure. That's always a plus.

Toward the end of this section, Amir seems to finally be maturing. He acts quite immaturely to Rahim Kahn, but sees the error of his ways and decides to save Sohrab. At the very end of this section, it is implied that Amir gave Farid and his family some money to help them. I believe this is only the beginning of the transformation Amir will make before this book concludes.

1 comment:

  1. Wait Joel...this book has made you cynical?! How?! This book has only opened my eyes about the world! If anything I've become more understanding of struggles. Although I have to admit I did have a brief period of time while reading where I had lost my faith in humanity. But I have to say that I totally disagree with your few on Baba. I believe that he was still as much of a fighter on his death bed as he was the day he fought that bear. He never seemed to give in or give up. And I don't think you can blame him for being grumpy, he did lose his wife and one of his sons and all his money. Wouldn't you be a little grumpy too?

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.